Oil on board, 11.5 x 16.25 inches / Signed lower right
Landscape painter, Charles Linford was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and was a student of noted Scalp Level founder, George Hetzel. It was through Hetzel that he was admitted to the “Gillespie Group”, a local group of notable Pittsburgh artists that included George Hetzel, Alfred S. Wall, Joseph Woodwell, David Gilmore Blythe, and Jasper Lawman. Linford was also a member of George Hetzel’s summer gatherings at Scalp Level. Linford’s characteristic style of loose quick brushwork and dark palette was probably influenced by French Barbizon painter, Henri Rousseau, whom he admired. In 1877, he moved to Philadelphia where he exhibited his works at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts until 1893. He lived for a short while in New York City and exhibited at the National Academy of Design. After 1893, Linford split his time between Pittsburgh, New York and Plainfield, New Jersey. He also exhibited at the Art Institute of Chicago and the first Carnegie Institute International in 1896. Linford’s paintings were included in the private collections of Pittsburgh industrialist, Andrew Carnegie.