Oil on board, 29.5 x 16.75 inches/Lower left
Marine painter Frederick Judd Waugh was born in Bordentown, New Jersey, the son of artists Samuel Bell Waugh and his second wife, Mary Eliza Young, a miniature painter. His formal art training began with Thomas Eakins and Thomas Anshutz in 1880 at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Circa 1883, Waugh left for Paris, France to study at the Académie Julian with Adolphe William Bouguereau and Tony Robert-Fleury. He returned to Philadelphia in 1885 after his father died and his career at this point consisted of portraiture and commercial work for Dakin and Petrie. In 1892 he returned to Paris and circa 1893 traveled to England. Waugh had become enchanted by the sea during voyages across the ocean and it was during his stay in England that be began painting seascapes in earnest, and by which he made his living while abroad. He painted en plein air on the Island of Sark (Channel Islands) in the English Channel and in 1895 set up a studio in the fishing village of Cornwall, on the southwest peninsula of England. Waugh and his family moved to Hendon, near London in 1899, where he supplemented his income by doing commercial illustration work, including that of the second Boer War (1899 – 1902) for London Daily Mail publisher, Lord Northcliffe. In 1907 after being away for 15 years, he returned to the United States, and in 1908 was residing in Montclair Heights, New Jersey. Art collector and businessman William T. Evans became his benefactor and offered him the former studio space of George Inness in exchange for Waugh providing him with one painting a year. He later lived on Baily Island, Maine and Monhegan Island, Maine. Waugh spent his last years in Provincetown, Massachusetts, where continued to paint and designed renovations for Saint Mary’s Episcopal Church in the 1930s. A. Seaton Schmidt, a writer for the The International Studio (February 1914) said that "Waugh reveled in the buffeting winds and storm-tossed seas, wiping the salty spray from his eyes and painting on until the light was completely gone." In 1918, during the First World War, Waugh joined the Design section of the U.S. Navy under the direction of artist Everett L. Warner as a camouflage artist. He was a member of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (Philadelphia, PA); Royal Academy (Bristol, England); National Academy of Design (NYC); Salmagundi Club (NYC); Lotos Club (NYC); National Arts Club (NYC); Boston Art Club; Connecticut Academy of Fine Arts; Washington Art Club; North Shore Art Association; American Federation of Art; and Buck Hill Falls Art Association (PA). He exhibited at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts (1881-1913); National Academy of Design (1884, 1886, 1891, 1907-1941--prizes 1910, 1929, 1935); Paris Salon (1884, 1889, 1893); Royal Academy, London (1894, 1899, 1901, 1903, 1904, 1905); Exposición Internacional del Centenario (Centennial International Exposition, Bueno Aires, 1910, gold medal); Boston Arts Club, prize; Art institute of Chicago (1912 medal); Connecticut Academy of Fine Art (1915 prize); Panama-Pacific Exposition (1915 medal); Philadelphia Arts Club (1924 gold medal); Carnegie International Exhibition (1910, 1911, 1912).